Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Oneness Pentecostals & Jesus Christ

There is no denying that Oneness Pentecostal writers teach both monotheism and that Jesus is fully and truly God. They do not hesitate to go to all the proof-texts Christians would to prove His deity (e.g., John 1:1, 20:28; Rom 9:5; Titus 2:13; 2 Pet 1:1). At the same time, they also teach that Jesus is God in the flesh so that He is fully and truly man as well.

However, the orthodoxy of the statement “Jesus is God” is determined by how one defines the phrase "Son of God."

They affirm that “Jesus is the Son of God,” but that title refers exclusively to Jesus during His incarnation so that “the humanity of the Lord Jesus is the Son” (italics mine) (Magee, Is Jesus in the Godhead or is the Godhead in Jesus?, 32). Therefore, Jesus being the Son of God is a temporary role with a very distinct beginning and ending.

So, if Jesus is not the eternal Son of God, what was He before His incarnation? Answer: Jesus was the Father not the Son. In fact, during the Incarnation “the Father and Son are two natures in the one person, Jesus Christ” (Bowman, “Oneness Pentecostalism and the Trinity,” 25). In other words, for OP’s “to say Jesus is both the Father and the Son is to say that he is both God and man” (Boyd, Oneness Pentecostals and the Trinity, 32).

When talking to OP's, one of the reasons they deny the Trinity is because it's too hard to understand. Well, rather than doing away with all mystery in their system, they instead transfer the mystery to the Incarnation. Their most respected author readily admits that people “cannot understand the dual nature of Christ and cannot correctly separate his two roles” (Bernard, The Oneness of God, 171).

Therefore, Bible verses that appear to reveal distinctions between persons (e.g., Jesus praying to the Father, loving the Father, doing the Father’s will, both Father and Son sending the Spirit, etc.) are actually the two human and divine natures interacting with each other. His human struggles (e.g., pain, thirst, not knowing information, etc.), two wills (Luke 22:42; John 6:38) and especially His death also demonstrate this—Jesus’ human body (the Son) died on the cross while His spirit (the Father) did not.

Why is this important? When speaking with an OP you must be careful because they will adamantly agree with you that “The Son of God died on the cross,” but again, “Son of God” means Jesus’ human nature not that He is God.

Be careful when doing evangelism to define your terms. Ask, "Do you believe Jesus is the Son of God?" When they say "Yes," then ask "What do you mean by that?" If you don't, you’ll be “two ships passing in the night” during your conversation. You’ll get no where since you've been spinning your wheels in the mud of confusion as you talk past each other. Never assume. Always ask questions.

This is also a very good example of how important it is to know the view of the person you're trying to reach with the gospel. You may even leave thinking "This person's saved" because you didn't know the right questions to ask.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 11/11/2006 5:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jon:

Why do you think that if a person doesn't understand the trinity but yet believes in Jesus as the son of God is not saved?

I believe that Jesus is both God and man but I don't understand how His God nature could really die on the cross. I think I am saved even though I don't understand it.

 
At 11/11/2006 9:36 PM, Blogger Ordinary Pastor said...

Bill,

Again, thank you for praying for my grandpa. I really appreciate it, as does my family.

To answer your question, I've heard new agers say "Jesus is the Son of God." It doesn't matter what a person says, but what they mean by what they say.

Jesus means "Son of God" in the sense that He is God in the flesh. If a person does not believe what Jesus meant by "Son of God" that person has a problem with their doctrine.

When thinking about Jesus, the God-man, dying on the cross, you have to keep in mind that He is a full, whole person.

Though we distinguish Christ's two natures for the purpose of explanation, in reality He's a unified Person who died.

I may not understand the Trinity, but I believe it, just like I don't understand the incarnation, or trigonometry, or the theory of relativity.

Does that make sense? Let me know. I really appreciate your question.

Thanks,

Jon

 
At 11/12/2006 9:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for responding Jon,

Please keep us update on Hoovers progress.

I agree that many say that Jesus is the Son of God but do not believe it in the same sense as you and me. For example Mormons. They will tell you that Jesus is the Son of God and if you probe further you will find out that the guy at there door is the Son of God too.

But my question was really the fact that you said that the OP people were not saved because of their take on the trinity. I just did not realize that that was a condition for salvation. They believe that Jesus is the God-man who atoned for our sins as payment to the Father and rose from the dead seems the same to me.

I met a OP pastor last summer and he pretty much convinced me that we were brothers even tho I disagreed in his view of the trinity.

Just wondering...

Bill

PS I like your blog, neat stuff.

 
At 11/13/2006 12:28 AM, Blogger Ordinary Pastor said...

Bill,

Thanks for praying for my grandpa and the nice things you said about my blog.

My grandpa goes into the doctor this week to schedule his surgery. I will certainly keep the blog updated concerning his progress.

About the OP, I've met with them too, and while I will take what you said and think about it more because you raise some good questions, the OP falls outside the realm of salvation when it comes to their understanding of how works contribute to salvation, something I will post on this week.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home