Thursday, April 19, 2007

Virginia Tech Massacre II

First, I am just sick and livid at NBC for airing that psychotic murderer's videos. Even in death, he played them for fools who gave him exactly what he wanted: 15 minutes of fame. I agree with Hugh Hewitt "what is rewarded is repeated." We'll see if he's prophetic.

And in our rush to find out what caused this senseless massacre, I just heard a radio host suggest that maybe it was the chemical in the murderer's parents dry cleaning business that threw his serotonin levels off and made him do this!

So much for personal responsibility for one's actions! How long until we're pushed to feel sympathy for this devil because his crimes against humanity really aren't his fault?

Enough of that. The real reason I opened this post was to tell you about Liviu Librescu.

I know this wonderful man I am singling out is well-known now, but I have to talk about him on the off-chance you don't know about him already. What follows comes from an excellent tribute to the victims on msnbc.com:
"Liviu Librescu, 76, an engineering science and mechanics lecturer. Born in Romania, he survived the Nazi Holocaust and emigrated to Israel in 1978 before moving to Virginia in 1985.

An Israeli citizen, he had taught at Virginia Tech for 20 years and was internationally known for his work in aeronautical engineering.

"His research has enabled better aircraft, superior composite materials, and more robust aerospace structures," said Ishwar Puri, the head of the engineering science and mechanics department.

After surviving the Nazi killings, Librescu escaped from communist Romania and made his way to the United States before he was killed in Monday’s massacre, which coincided with Israel’s Holocaust Remembrance Day.

Librescu's son, Joe, said his father's students sent e-mails detailing how the professor saved their lives by blocking the doorway of his classroom from the approaching gunman before he was fatally shot.

“My father blocked the doorway with his body and asked the students to flee,” Joe Librescu said from his home outside Tel Aviv, Israel. “Students started opening windows and jumping out.”

There are so many more profiles to read here, here and here on msnbc.com. I cried as I read and know I'd cry more if I stayed on the site longer.

Please take the time to at least scan the photos and personalize this. Put real faces to the vague "32 killed" we see and hear in the news. I think it helps us see the massacre and that piece of human scum in the correct light.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home