Friday, March 23, 2007

The Supremacy of God in Preaching by John Piper

John Piper’s goal for The Supremacy of God in Preaching is “to advance a movement of God-centered worship and life” by encouraging pastors to “show the truth of Christ and savor the glory of Christ” in their preaching.

In order to achieve the “exposition of the Word of God and exultation in the God of the Word” (11), the entire book reminds pastors of preaching’s goals by way of the Trinity’s role in preaching and Jonathan Edward’s expositional philosophy.

Piper argues for preaching as uniquely designed by God with the dual goals of informing the mind (seeing God) and igniting the emotions (savoring God). He wants to make sure pastors do not sacrifice one for the other, but see to it that our preaching reaches both aspects of the human soul (15, 23, 84-88).

The preaching he has in mind gives people an enlarged vision of their great God (15, 41) which restores the His throne in their souls (25, 27). However, this will not happen unless the preacher's words come from a heart that is enraptured by God (15, 25) and the gravity of His message (103-5).

On a personal note, I found myself constantly writing “Me?” in the margins. These markings are to be checks on my life the next time I pick the book up. When I read it again I will ask, “Does this describe you or not?”

Some of these include: Do I have an “intense, all-absorbing desire for the work?” (22) Do I see everything in relation to God? (25) Do I glory in my abilities, “sufficiency” and rhetorical techniques? (41-2, 53) Do I still want to be a man of one book and does my life and ministry show it? (46, 89) Is my demeanor one of true earnestness and reality, or am I “playing pastor?” (55, 61, 100) Do I truly care for the souls under my charge? (62) Am I spending the time needed in meditation to become a good heart surgeon? (98) Am I in true agony over my sinfulness? (102) Have I seen and savored God, so I can encourage others to do the same? (11, 108)

In the end, I really enjoyed reading this little book because I think it recaptures the center of what biblical preaching should be and do.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home