Thursday, March 15, 2007

Famine in the Land by Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson is a good communicator, whether in person or print, so his book Famine in the Land (FTL) was an easy read.

To begin, I was captured by the title as I could not agree more that there is a famine in our land of the Word of God in His churches just as in Amos’ day.

The thesis of the book is that God alone determines “the place expository preaching should have in the church today, as well as define[s] how the Word is to be preached”; therefore, his goal is “to fortify the allegiance of all who proclaim the Word of God” so that the modern pulpit might be “restored to her former glory” (19).

Growing up in Southern California's seeker church and taking in the philosophy of ministry uncritically pandering to the people’s felt needs made sense. It was years later that I realized “God's work must be done God's way if it is to know God's blessing” (26).

I was so used to man-centered ministry that I am so grateful for books like FTL because I need a more biblical philosophy of ministry and preaching.

I wholeheartedly agree with Dr. Lawson that with the state of the church as it is “the crying need of the hour is for divine power to be restored to evangelical pulpits” (57).

This book really challenged me. I am so aware of my weaknesses and inadequacies, but this book has inspired me to be one of the few who Dr. Lawson calls the strongest man with the strongest message for the strongest ministries.

Today, when ambiguity and compromise are more of the accepted norm, FTL has helped me to remember that I have to constantly choose between faithfulness and popularity as I try to do my part to add the living water of God's Word to our dry and dusty spiritual land.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home