Friday, January 05, 2007

Concerned for the Church Silent

I just finished my second reading of David Wells' discernment-filled book Above All Earthly Pow'rs. Because I liked the material so much, and because the material was, at times, difficult for me to fully grasp, I decided that I'd blog through it here.

This first quote is from the introduction and concerns the silence the church has had in the face of the serious evils we're facing in our world today, and what that says about it's overall health:
"...what has become conspicuous by its scarcity, and not least in the evangelical corner of [the Church], is a spiritual gravitas, one which could match the depth of horrendous evil and address issues of such seriousness. Evangelicalism, now much absorbed by the arts and tricks of marketing, is simply not very serious anymore" (4).
It seems to me that one of the objectives of this book is to address the American Church's lighthearted, superficial nature. I hope examining these things will address these things in my own heart and in my ministry in the future.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 1/05/2007 3:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice. I read the book and found it completely boring and then found out there was a whole conference dedicated to it by John Piper. So I obviously must have missed something.

It will be nice to see if you get anything from it other than his claim that cultural relativism is not good.

 
At 1/05/2007 4:00 PM, Blogger Ordinary Pastor said...

Bill,

I've read it twice in the past 2 months, and got a lot out of it, but because there were spots I wanted to go over again, I decided to blog through it.

See you soon,

Jon

 
At 1/07/2007 7:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great book!

 
At 1/08/2007 12:27 AM, Blogger Ordinary Pastor said...

Thanks Steve. I agree.

JB

 

Post a Comment

<< Home