Thursday, March 27, 2014

Postings on Proverbs 12:18

"There is one whose rash words are like sword thrusts, but the tongue of the wise brings healing" (ESV)

I've known a few people like this, who know exactly what to say to cut you in half with their words. I actually see this in me as well, the ability to process information about a person in such a way that maximizes the damage that can be done to them with just one comment. Lord, thank You for this proverb. Please, give it power to sanctify me and anyone who might read this.

Who? Anyone
What? Damage people vs Heal people
Where? Anywhere
When? Anytime
Why? Fool vs. Wise
How? With their words

"Rash words" are careless, heartless, insensitive, hasty, reckless, thoughtless, impetuous, without any regard to the well-being of the person being spoken to. Swords are used to maim and slaughter, and so do these words, fileting whoever they're thrust towards. Do your words like this? Are you even aware enough of your own actions to be able to answer that question accurately?

Are you around someone who regularly damages people with his or her words? Often, these kinds of people need our compassion because their harsh words come from pain, from fear of letting people get close to them, from anger, from bitterness, from unforgiveness, all of which merely explains their cold-blooded comments, and can never justifies them.

The skill from the first line is to recognize people like this (hopefully, that person is not you) so as to avoid people like this (if possible), to watch out for their impact on your life, to limit their access to you, to keep them at arms length relationally, and even to get yourself away from them, just like you would someone trying to slash you with a sword.

Or, are you the kind of person whose words encourage, bless and heal? It's hard to answer that question, because we always give ourselves the benefit of the doubt, so let me rephrase it. Would the people closest to you say that what they love about you is how your words to them are constantly blessing and encouraging them? When I ask it like that, the question stings a little, but in a good way.

Do my words give life people? I can be very sarcastic, which ruins trust and can make a person defensive around me because my words contaminate their heart. I don't want to "aim at promoting [my] public image, craving for admiration, and serving [my] own interests," nor do I want to create "barriers between [myself] and others" with my words (Waltke 537).

Rather than sarcasm, which I find myself doing to make myself seem smart or funny, I need to take God seriously: "Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear" (Eph 4:29).

I want my words to give life, and I want to be surrounded by people who's words "bring healing." If you find someone like this, do your best to become their friends. They are critical to pull in close because they have the ability, with their words, to soothe and even fix the hurt others have inflicted on you (with God's power).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home