Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Postings on Proverbs 12:16

"A fool's anger is known at once, but a prudent man conceals dishonor" (NASB) or "The vexation of a fool is known at once, but the prudent ignores an insult" (ESV)

I liked the NASB for the first line and the ESV for the second line, so in my translation it would say "A fool's anger is known at once, but the prudent ignores an insult" (JBV).

Who: the fool vs. the prudent / wise
What: anger (= excitement, upset, incensed) known immediately vs. ignoring an insult
Where: anywhere
When: anytime
Why: one is a fool while the other is prudent
How: they are a fool or prudent depending on their response to something that could make them angry

As I think about the bottom line for both sides of the proverb, it seems to me the issue is self-control, as this verse "admonishes self-control over one's dangerous emotions" (Waltke 534). Angry people have a hair-trigger, meaning the slightest offense, the smallest infraction, the tiniest sin will set them off. They have no filter. They have no control. They are unpredictable. When they're angry it's on, and everyone knows it.

Often, people like this are in positions of power, and when they are their subordinates live in fear of setting them off. They got that way, many times, because of unforgiveness, which poisons their soul with bitterness that expresses itself in anger. And, underneath unforgiveness is often pride, an unwillingness to let go of an offense because "X hurt ME!!!"

Do you know anyone like this? They are terrible to be in any kind of relationship with. Don't miss that this proverb says quick anger unmasks someone as a fool.

I've found myself getting angry recently, like in the past month or so. It revolves around wanting to be farther along in my life than I currently am, and sensing that there's no hope for me to advance where I've been for the last 3 years. Dissatisfaction has grown from the distance between my current work and my desired work as a pastor. Last night, I was in a meeting where a minor ministry idea of mine was shot down by 3 people, one of whom is in authority, but thankfully, though I was angry and embarrassed God gave me the grace to ignore the "dishonor" I felt. 

The wise are self-controlled, having "the ability to regulate one's emotional display for one's own advantage" (Longman 276). They don't let their feelings dominate their thoughts, their emotions, their words or their actions. They are able to stop and think before they respond, and consider the outcome of their anger before expressing it.

The word "conceals" or "ignores" means "to render what is covered invisible." So, someone may not know they just sinned against this person because she's anticipated the negative reactions to her anger and then controlled it. I think of Jesus in this, who didn't say anything when He was being viciously sinned against at His trials. Oh to be like Him!

I hope that helps! TII!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home