Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Home From Zhytomyr!!!

I've been home from Ukraine for almost two weeks now, but there has been a couple very good reasons why I have not posted anything here. I was severely jet-lagged for over a week, and I got sick there on the last night and brought it back with me. My cough still hasn't healed!

However, the real reason I have not posted anything here is to see if what took place there would wear off. I had an absolutely incredible time in Zhytomyr, Ukraine.

I landed on Saturday July 21st, and preached two sermons the next day totally jet-lagged. Then, for the leadership camp the first week I preached on Monday night, three times on Tuesday, three times on Wednesday, four times on Thursday, and three times on Friday. By Friday night I was totally exhausted, but at the same time thrilled at what God had done and was doing--and had a very funny night trying to speak Russian.

I had Saturday off, and on the second Sunday I preached two sermons again. Then, I preached once a day for the next five days at the evangelistic camp. God blessed that week incredibly as many were challenged and He even saved some 15-20 kids through the preaching of His Word day after day.

I absolutely loved the people of Christmas Church in Zhytomyr (pic of church above). I was treated like a family member. My main interpreter and I hit it off instantly. Everyone was completely encouraging and responsive (for the most part) to my feeble attempts to serve them. They wanted me to play every game, and do every activity. Many tried to talk with me even though it was hard for them (most if not all school kids have to learn English), and impossible for me. One brother made sure I was fully involved in almost everything they did at both camps. There were even two very dear friends that tried to teach me Russian, which really made me feel like I was one of their own (even though I had NO CLUE what they were saying 99.99% of the time). It was so nice to be around Christians that were so hospitable and kind and selfless.

Couple all that with the vast amount of talent and the many needs I saw within the church itself and I just fell in love with everything and everyone. At the end of the second week, I simply did not want to leave. I secretly hoped we'd get in a car accident or miss our flight so that we could stay just one more day. I don't think I've ever been used by God the way I was during those two weeks, and I don't think my heart has ever been so knit to another group of believers like it was to those in Zhytomyr.

Like I said, I haven't written about the trip sooner because I wanted to see if all this would wear off, but it hasn't. I was asked by many if I would come back next summer, and I don't know what the future holds, but I hope and pray that God will use me there again and for many summers to come. I can't thank Him enough for all He did there, I can't thank my friends Vitali and Michael for inviting me and making everything happen so smoothly, and I can't thank the people of Zhytomyr enough for the tremendous blessing they were, and still are, to me.

Finally, many of you prayed for the whole trip, and I hope this post conveys, even a little bit, what it was you prayed for. I am convinced that God used you personally to do what took place there, and for that I can't thank you enough. God used you mightily to do things you'll never know about this side of glory.

For those who are interested, I posted about 150 pictures of the trip here.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home