Wednesday, December 13, 2006

One Punk Under God

Jay Bakker (with wife Amanda above), the son of the disgraced Jim and Tammy Faye Baker of PTL fame, is starring in a new reality show called One Punk Under God on the Sundance Channel.

It is described on one site as a documentary "that takes an all-access look inside the life of Jay Bakker and his Revolution ministry in Atlanta, as he faces the struggles of putting together a new generation of Christian punk rockers."

After what he's gone through, it's amazing he wants anything to do with God or ministry. Also, I thank God for ministries to all kinds of people, especially those that don't "fit" into a "normal" church culture (I might add, their not "fitting in" says more about the church than it does them).

However, from the little I've read about Jay, I'm concerned that he may be compromising the gospel message in order to reach them. This is a bad strategy because it cuts you off from relevance with God in order to be relevant with people, even while a person may be able to point to some measure of visible success.

***

UPDATE: My friend Al told me that you can download the first episode on iTunes for free. He also told me that I'll be more disappointed than encouraged by the program as a widely-read Christian blogger, Tim Challies (http://www.challies.com/), has seen and blogged unfavorably on the show.

***

UPDATE: I just tried to download the show for free at iTunes and they're charging $2 for it now. Oh well.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 12/14/2006 1:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

CNN is covering this, too.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/12/13/bakker.brown.commentary/index.html

Also more commentary at
http://www.challies.com/archives/002238.php#comments

 

Post a Comment

<< Home