Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Hello Again!!!

After thinking about it on my own for months now and having a friend last night, completely out of the blue, say "I think you should start writing," I've decided to blog again.

I'm not writing, ultimately, for others, but for the glory of God and to hone this skill that He's given me. At the same time, I am not oblivious to the fact that this is a public blog so others can find it (how, I have no idea), so if people find it and read it, fine. If, with the literally billions of webpages out there, it remains hidden no one reads it, that's fine too.

With that in mind, I think I'm going to focus on a couple things in this blog: (1) The passion of my heart is to see Christians and non-Christians transformed by the Gospel, (2) After preaching through Proverbs twice (2008-10) in the college and singles' ministries I used to pastor in Aliso Viejo, CA I've been struck by my need for wisdom so I'll spend a lot of time looking at Proverbs 10-31, and (3) I'm working on a book idea that I'll be fleshing out here as well.

To start, I just came home from a leadership meeting at my church, Redemption Church Gateway, where the pastor asked a random person to give their testimony. It was a moving story of God's grace that moved the grown man speaking to cry in front of a room of around 100 leaders. God saved him over a decade ago, and it wasn't old news to him! It was still really good news! What struck me as I watched was how emotional he still was about being saved, something I realized I've lost the wonder of in recent days, remembering that just today I shared my testimony with a friend and didn't have that response at all.

What also hit me was how many leaders in our day are taking the obvious work of God in people's lives -- as seen in my friend who I just rejoiced with -- and using it to build their own personal kingdoms. In the lives and ministries of many, the sovereign miracle of conversion is not an end in itself to be marveled at and rejoiced in. Instead, it's used to market a man or his ministry, which is about as ridiculous as the paint brush taking credit for the Mona Lisa.

Now, this distorted and wicked motive is often hidden behind slogans like "I just want to get God's Word to more of God's people" or "More people means more exposure to the Gospel" when deep down it's about prestige, money, security, proving oneself to doubters, book deals, acclaim and bragging rights. Now, I know the obvious comeback is "You don't know their hearts" and you're right. I don't. However, according to Jeremiah 17:9-10, they don't know their own hearts either.

So, after watching my friend my thought was beware all of us who love the "Good job" after serving God's people. The sacrifice being made may not be our time and effort. The sacrifice being made may be the Gospel on the altar of our own personal ambitions.

Truth is Immortal!!!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home