Wednesday, May 23, 2007

21% of American Muslims...

..., out of an estimated 2.35 million, believe homicide bombings against civilians are OK to "defend Islam" while "5% of [all] Muslim Americans express even somewhat favorable opinions of al Qaeda."

Those statistics can often pass by without impact. I thought 21% was kind of high, that is until I did the math. For the sake of clarity, 21% of 2.35 million is 493,500 and 5% is 117,500!

The Pew Research Center poll also writes that Muslims under 30 are "much more religiously observant and more accepting of Islamic extremism than are older Muslim Americans."

Don't believe me? Click here to read the Fox News article and here to read the full report, which is less alarming than the two important statistics above.

Interestingly, the Fox News article gave the percentage as 26% who think homicide bombing of civilians is OK while I only counted 21% after adding the percentages from the textbox on page 6 of the report found at the Pew website. I don't know where they got that number, so one of us is wrong by 5% (or 493,500 vs. 611,000 Muslims), but I just can't figure out who.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home